Thursday, April 25, 2013

The Gift of Giving

Before I finished writing about Christmas, I wanted to write a special memory down. When we went for Brooklyn's annual check up at the doctor, the doctor (who I ADORE) was so sweet and complimentary about Brooklyn and about us as parents. She shared with me that she had been on the phone with CPS several times that day and was glad to see Brooklyn because it brightened her day to see a child who was so well taken care of. She explained to Brooklyn that she was such a lucky girl and asked if she would choose one of her toys and give it to someone who wasn't as lucky and well taken care of as she is. I thought this was such a sweet request and would be a great opportunity to teach Brooklyn about the gift of giving and service to others. When we got home we went through Brooklyn's toys and instead of just choosing one, she filled up a whole bag. We decided to take the toys to the Bishop so that he could give them to a child in our ward or stake that might need them. We took Brooklyn with us to see the Bishop and she was able to give the toys to him and explain that she would like them to go to someone who wasn't as lucky as she was. He was so sweet as he took the toys and thanked Brooklyn for doing such a nice thing for someone else. I thought is was such a sweet experience and didn't want to miss the opportunity to write it down. I think it would be so great to do this every year at Christmas time to teach Brooklyn that she is so fortunate and that she can do a lot to help others who aren't as fortunate. I am so grateful that the doctor made such a nice request and I truly believe it helped us feel and share the true Christmas spirit.

2 comments:

Brynn said...

oh i'm crying now!!!

Jenny Pettman said...

absolutely gorgeous post, i loved it! and very pleased to see that i am now on your blog list :) thanks so much xxx