Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Nixon's Birth

I love having all the details down for my records, so be warned!!!

When I woke up on the morning of April 30th, I just had a feeling that it would be THE day, so naturally I began nesting!! I cleaned my house, did the laundry, and made sure Brooklyn was packed up and ready to head to Grandma's when the time came. Throughout the third trimester of my pregnancy I had had a lot of braxton hick's... I never experienced these with Brooklyn!! During the day I was feeling a LOT of braxton hick's and was just monitoring them hoping they would get stronger and closer together. I went to the store to get some things for dinner and by the time I got home I knew that these were no longer braxton hick's, they were the real thing. I called Brett at work so that he could let his Mom know that we would probably need her to take B that night. Brett headed straight home even though I warned him that it would be hours before anything significant happened. During this time I attempted to make dinner... apparently you shouldn't make dinner whilst in labor because this dish, that I have made a hundred times before, turned out all wrong and ended up in the trash. So we ended up eating Panera!

Susan came and picked up B around 8ish. My contractions at this point were about every 6 minutes and lasting around a minute. We called the hospital and the nurse told me that it sounded like I was only in early labor, which can take a long time to progress, so I should wait it out at home for now. I decided to take a long, hot shower. The shower totally slowed my contractions down and after I got out they were all over the place - some were every five minutes, but then I would go ten minutes without one. I was terrified that I would go to the hospital and be sent home so I just kept walking around and waiting it out. By 10 that night my contractions were very painful but still somewhat inconsistent, but I decided that I was ready for an epidural so we should head to the hospital. As we packed up and headed out my contractions started coming every four minutes or so. The hospital is around 25 minutes away and I must admit that I was a little worried I had left it too late!!

My last bump picture, right before leaving!!
We arrived at the hospital and parked outside the main entrance which of course was closed! So we walked all the way around to the ER and then through the hospital all the way to Labor & Delivery. The person walking us through kept asking if I wanted a wheelchair but I knew that the walking would help so I kept going. When we got there, a girl was checking in ahead of me and she kept hunching over and crying with every contraction. I was in so much pain but at this point was just cracking jokes and having a good time with Brett. I kept thinking that if she was crying and I was not, maybe I had come too soon!! We got settled in and a nurse finally came to check me. I was so excited when she said 'well, looks like you are at a 7, no actually an 8'!!! I was so proud of myself for waiting it out so long at home!! I know it seems odd that I didn't realize I was so far along, especially seen as I have been through labor before, but it was just so different this time. With B, my water broke but I wasn't dilated, so I was given pitocin and that's what started my contractions. I had never experienced contractions starting on their own and really struggled at first to tell what were real contractions and what were just braxton hick's. Seen as I was so far along the nurse ordered my epidural right away and went to work getting my IV in. With Brooklyn it took several attempts to get in an IV and several attempts to draw blood... of course I hate needles so that sucked. This nurse was wonderful and got the IV in first time and did a good enough job that she could take my blood through it... Thank goodness. I got my epidural so quickly and was so grateful for it. Next time around I am for sure getting it sooner!! I asked the nurse about the other girl and she said that it was safe to assume I was further along because my epidural took priority... Is it bad to admit that this made me feel great?

After getting my epidural we tried to get some rest (at this point it was around 12:30am). When I had an epidural with B I was completely numb... I felt nothing!! This time I could still feel every contraction in my right hip which made rest impossible. The contractions were more uncomfortable then painful but the nurse kept encouraging me not to dose myself up on the epidural because it would help me push if I could still feel them. She came and checked every so often and was amazed that my water had still not broken! Finally I was at a 10 and finally my water broke!! It was show time!! With B I remember pushing for a long time before the Dr. even arrived, this time I did one set of three pushes and she told me not to push again until the Dr. came. The Dr. came in and I did maybe 3 or 4 sets of pushes. My oxygen levels were low so I had to wear a mask and they were a little concerned because the baby's heart rate kept dropping. Brooklyn's heart rate had done the same while I was pushing which led to an episiotomy and them using the vacuum to get her out. When this Dr. said that she might have to do an eposiotomy I begged her not to. I told her that it had taken so long to heal from with Brooklyn and I really didn't want to go through that again. She agreed to let me push one more time and see how it went. I totally went for it and gave it my all and his head was out on the next push... WOOHOO!!! I was so grateful to avoid another episiotomy. The most amazing feeling was the relief on my stomach as the baby came out... like I said I was so numb with B that I had not felt this and I must say feeling that relief of pressure was so amazing to me - One of the coolest, strangest feelings ever but so amazing and wonderful. I tore a little because Nixon decided to wave on his way out... I did the same thing on my entrance to the world so I know my Mum is loving knowing that I got a little payback!! He also had a really long cord which came out wrapped across him like a sash!

Minutes old!

There are no words to describe the feeling you get as they hand you your brand new baby, there is truly nothing like it and no feeling will ever top it!! I was so proud of myself for doing so well during labor and Nixon was the best reward.

No comments: