Friday, May 1, 2009

My Baby Story

So I figured I should fill you all in on how I came to know that I am carrying a little bundle of joy. Let me preface this by saying that we were not trying for a baby.... we had no plans to try for a baby for at least another 2 years... but we are so excited - best surprise EVER!

So my friend Carrie came to town. Carrie is pregnant - she is expecting a little girl in September. Well on Saturday Carrie and I decided to go shopping and my friend Mary joined us and we were on a little adventure to find cute maternity clothes for Carrie. We found this long dress that wasn't maternity but could definitely accommodate a bump... it was so cute and I thought it would look so cute on a pregnant lady so I convinced Carrie to buy it. We finished up shopping and headed to dinner and of course indulged in lots of girl talk. During our girl talk Mary and I started talking about pregnancy. After discussing some pregnancy symptoms Mary said that maybe I was pregnant. I laughed her off telling her there was no way.

Well the next day I get sick... like throwing up sick. I am thinking that I have food poisoning from the restaurant we ate at although I didn't feel any better. Monday rolled around and I still felt sick. I let Brett know that I was going to take a pregnancy test... just to make sure. So I went to Target and picked up the cheapest one (I was so convinced I was not pregnant that I didn't want to waste money on a brand name test haha). I headed home and I can honestly say that more than ever before I really did not think I was pregnant. So I take the test and within about 20 seconds this line appears across the results window. At this point I am thinking in my head... ok line is good... line shows the test is working... wait a second how come there is a line in the test window and a line in the results window... wait.... WHAT???? Yup a line in both windows means one thing.... PREGNANT!!! Seriously I was in shock... I was laughing, crying I had no clue how to act. Brett was still at work and now I wish I would have been cute and creative in how I told him, but I was so shocked I couldn't even think.

I was pacing the floor waiting for him to come home. I almost drove to his work. And then I thought about calling him. But he was supposed to be home in 30 minutes and I figured I should start working on that whole patience thing. So I waited... and paced... and finally he came home. He came in, shut the door and I immediately grabbed his hand and dragged him into the bathroom. Waiting for him was the positive pregnancy test. He started laughing and asked if this was a joke. No joke babe... this is for real. He told me to get drinking water... I needed to take the other test. So I did. Positive. At this point it is like almost 11 but I am in such disbelief that I decide we have to go and buy a brand name test. So out we head on this journey to find an open store and a brand name pregnancy test. We find one and decided to buy a three pack... just to be on the safe side. I took one more before bed and of course it was positive. We went for one last one in the morning and it confirmed it... we were pregnant!

It is the most insane feeling in the world. Kind of overwhelming but at the same time this crazy excitement. I can honestly say it just did not feel real. We were able to get in with the Doctor really quick and have already seen the baby. Seeing it's little heart beat definitely helped reality to set in. We can not wait for our little one to arrive! I will post some pictures soon!

Much love,
Brett, Beth and Baby G
-xox-

5 comments:

Vanessa said...

Have I mentioned recently how excited I am???

The Miranda's said...

that's a really cute story..i love how you had to take many, many tests...it's fun to be a mom!

lisset said...

funny story. really, really funny. so how many tests in all? like 27?

Caren said...

I LOVE it!! I have never heard of anyone who has taken SO many tests when the first one was positive!! I have taken a couple when it was negative and I thought it was wrong :-) I am SO happy for you and cannot wait to meet the newest member of the Gylling (and honorary Nelson!) family!!

Beth said...

Haha yes yes... there were 5 tests in total... and I still thought they were all wrong!