Wednesday, December 9, 2009

My Baby Story...

I thought that maybe I should fill you all in on all the details of Brooklyn's birth. As you know she wasn't due until November 29th, but I was determined to have her sooner. My doctor had been telling me to start walking a lot to try and help her come, but because I was still working I didn't really have the time or energy to walk after I got home. I finished work on Friday November 20th and although it was really nice not to think about work, I did start wondering how I was going to entertain myself until my little girl decided to make her entrance. Luckily for me, I didn't have to wait long.

On Sunday 22nd, Brett and I embarked on a nice long walk of almost 5 miles. That night we went to bed around 10 which is pretty early for us. It was my turn to say family prayer so during my prayer I asked to please have the baby in the next 3 hours. 3 hours later at around 1 in the morning I woke up to my water breaking (Heavenly Father definitely has a sense of humor). I just grabbed Brett's arm and said 'Uh Brett my water just broke'. I wasn't having any contractions at this point so I knew it wasn't urgent that I get to the hospital because I wasn't in active labor. So I got up, took a shower, did my hair, and finally around 3 we headed to the hospital. I had started to have contractions but they were just slightly uncomfortable (I must admit that I was starting to think having a baby would be a breeze HAHAHA... how wrong I was). They checked me and I was only dilated 1cm so they had me start walking the halls of the hospital. At around 7 the doctor came in to check on me. He had them put me on pitocin to try and help me progress. He let me know he would be gone for the day but that he would be back that night and therefore he would probably deliver the baby.

A couple of hours later they checked me again and I was already at 4cm. At this point the contractions were starting to hurt a little... (yes this picture is horrible but check out the pained look on my face)

So at this point I have indeed decided to opt for some pain meds. They put something in my IV and it did absolutely NOTHING. So I decide that I will indeed have an epidural. After a while my OBGYN comes in and she checks me again. I am now dilated to 9cm and it freaking hurt haha. My contractions were getting bad and I started to feel like I needed to push. The contractions were painful but it was the feeling of needing to push that was the most painful. My doctor let me know that it wouldn't be too much longer and asked if I was really sure that I wanted an epidural at this point. YES I FREAKING WANT ONE haha... so they finally managed to hook a doctor to give me the epidural. Let me tell you, epidurals are bliss... It kicked in pretty quick and my pain was gone!! I was already starting to push at this point (which made it pretty difficult to sit still while getting my epidural but I managed) but my little one had now decided she wanted to slow things down. I guess I pushed for quite a while which didn't bother me, but they started to get a little concerned for the baby so they decided to use a vacuum. So after an episiotomy and a little help from a vacuum my beautiful baby girl entered the world at 1:12pm... almost exactly 12 hours after my water broke!

It was such an amazing experience. I choke up just thinking about seeing my baby girl for the first time... she is absolutely perfect and we love her so much.

6 comments:

Nathan and Maggie said...

Beth she is soooooooo cute! And yeah you aren't having me looking forward to this coming March when I have to do this! Ha unfortunately we live like an hour and 15 mins from the hospital I deliver at!! Nothing like living in the sticks!!! I can't wait to see more pictures!!!

The Miranda's said...

I'm so glad you two are doing well! Labor is not an easy thing, but you made it pretty long before getting an epideral...good for you! I hope you are enjoying motherhood!

lisset said...

oh beth. you made me laugh. yes those early contractions can certainly give you the wrong idea~ glad all turned out well. she is absolutely beautiful!!

Kristen M said...

oh beth i am SO excited and happy for you. She is adorable, but I mean how could she not be considering her parents :) XOXO

megan said...

she is just pure perfection!!! i can't wait to come over and hold her and cuddle her and spoil her. what a merry christmas you *three* will have this year!

and, is it just me or does brooklyn look a little bit like brett?

love you guys!
megan and vinny

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.